View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sans-Mathi-Tzyn
Getting better at this!

re: Baked Potato Soup

One night I made baked potatoes with a meaty sauce to go over top of them. The baking potatoes were HUGE though, and none of us could eat more than 1/2 a potato. So, two of them got eaten that night while the other two were baked and saved for the next night. I made Baked Potato Soup from them and it was awesome! Here is the recipe for that soup, which I simply must make again, as it was just that good! :)

Baked Potato Soup

2 HUGE russet potatoes (or about 6 regular sized ones), baked
1 medium yellow onion, chopped into about 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium red onion, chopped into about 1/2 inch pieces
3-4 cloves garlic, minced (or equivalent from a jar)
2 stalks celery, halved lengthwise then chopped into about 1/2 inch pieces
1 tbsp bacon grease
1 1/2 tbsps flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 12oz can chicken broth
2 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp smoky paprika
1 1/2 cups sweet corn
3-4 cups milk
1/4 cup extra sharp cheddar (I used Cabot from Costco, aged 3 years white cheddar)
2 pieces thick cut bacon, cooked until crisp (I bake mine on 400 for about 30 mins), plus 1-2 pieces per bowl (we used 9 pieces total between the soup itself and four bowls)
salt and pepper to taste
sour cream for serving

Chop the potatoes into chunks and set aside.

Add the bacon grease to a large pan and let it get hot, then add the onions and cook about a minute before adding the celery and garlic. Allow to cook until the onion is translucent and the celery is tender. Transfer to a deep pot.

With the fire still going, add the flour and olive oil to the pan and cook the flour until it's a medium golden brown color then slowly whisk the broth into the roux. Pour that into the pot with the vegetables and place the pot over the heat. Allow it to come to a boil before adding the potatoes, parsley, and paprika. Cook about a minute before adding the corn then continue to cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the milk.

Allow to boil another 5 minutes before adding the cheese. Grate the cheese into the pot and cook only until it's melted.

Remove from the heat and crumble two slices of bacon into the pot. Mix well. Serve with a generous dollop of sour cream and 1-2 slices bacon crumbled on top.

Serves 5-6 (Or, if you're in our house, it serves 4 with enough left over for a snack...hehehe)

LotRO - Arkenstone - Sansanor 100 Hunter; Saffriel, 83 RK; Pypskweek, 81 Warden; Mathilanakh, R11 Warg
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Damn Community Forum Index -> Soups All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: